Waterfall At Stanhope

Waterfall At Stanhope
photo by ljoyburke

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Listening to One Black Bird



The landscape is fully laden now with
the open leaves of spring
buds abound - hues shift
into the cacophony of early summer days

high on a leafless branch
far from my reach
sits one black bird singing

listen listen, I silence
the random ringings
listen listen

my love is near-says she
listen listen
her song spills beauty into the air

I shade my eyes, cock my head
search the branches for the
musician I cannot touch

the singer tilts her beak toward
cumulus clouds-
trilling trilling

the park is empty
save for squirrels foraging,
amongst pods floating from trees.

a time of innocence remembered
surfaces - summers long buried
converge with those yet to be.

one black bird sings of longing - longing
harmonic notes rise to envelope
seekers in the wood.

Linda Joy Burke
All Rights Reserved By Author

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have a very impressive blog, and I can envision you speaking every word on here because I heard you lecture at the expo on Friday. I wanted to compliment you on your ability to make anyone see a different side to anything. Also, you have a wonderful presence that allows you to brighten even the dullest room. Thank you for being at the expo, Ms. Burke! You are an inspiration to me and many others, I am sure of it.

One of My Peeps

One of My Peeps
Robin photo by ljoyburke

Vote for Heal a Woman Heal a Nation Inc.

Chase is having a competition to divide 5,000,000 amongst 100 community based non-profits. I've voted for Heal A Woman Heal a Nation Inc. Baltimore City Non profit organization which works to give women the tools they need to be empowered to have happy healthier lives. The founders started the organization right out of college, have sponsored 5 highly successful conferences and monthly workshop events. They deal with a variety of topics, from health care, to financial literacy. Today is the last day to cast your vote so I hope you'll take the time to vote for them. Peace and Blessing to all in the this season of light-celebrating Hanukkah, Christmas, Solstice, Kwanzaa.